what you need to know before adopting
Bringing a cat or kitten into your family is a big responsibility and a commitment to care for the cat for their lifetime (which could be anywhere from 15 years to 20 plus).
We never adopt cats as gifts. You can purchase a gift certificate for someone or bring the person with you.
There may be exceptional circumstances where a person needs to adopt a cat on someone else’s behalf. If this is the case, please phone us on 02 9557 4818 before visiting so we can discuss the situation with you.
Before you decide to adopt a cat, we recommend you read this document on the cost of owning a cat.
If you’ve never had a cat before, make sure you aren’t allergic. Simply spending lots of time with other people’s cats should indicate whether or not you are allergic. For more information, read our factsheet on allergies.
Please be aware kitten season is usually between October and May (the warmer months of the year) so if you are looking at adopting a young kitten (between 10 – 18 weeks) we may not have any available at other times of the year.
When you’re ready to give a cat a forever home:
- You will need to complete an adoption questionnaire – this gives us all the information we need to help you find the purr-fect feline friend for your household
- Once you have completed the questionnaire one of our friendly team will be in touch to arrange an adoption appointment with you
- Adoptions are by appointment only
- There is an adoption fee of $150 per cat or kitten, or $250 for a pair
- Our adoption centre is at 103 Enmore Road, Newtown (opposite the Enmore Theatre)
- We’re open for adoptions seven days a week
- Allow yourself plenty of time
- Bring identification with your name and address
- Bring all the people in the household – it’s important that everyone gets along
- If you have a pet carrier (cardboard boxes are NOT suitable) bring it with you, or you can buy one here, and make arrangements to safely transport your new cat home
Before visiting any Cat Protection premises please read our conditions of entry.
Due to the outbreak of the Feline Panleukopaenia Virus in Sydney, anyone who has a cat or cats at home will be asked to provide a copy of their cat’s current vaccination certificate as a precaution. This measure is to highlight the importance of vaccination for all cats and kittens and safeguard against the spread of FPV.
You can buy everything you’ll need for your new cat or kitten from us on the day: food, litter trays & kitty litter etc. You will receive a complimentary bag of adult or kitten Science Diet dry food and the booklet Your New Cat, with all the information you’ll need to help settle in your new family member.
Take advantage of these great offers:
Kitten starter pack $150 – value $180
Includes: Science Diet kitten tin or sachet, Oz-Pet sieve litter tray, 1.5 ltr Oz-Pet kitty litter, plastic double bowl, 4 cat toys, small scratch activity centre, flat cat bed, cat carrier plus one year membership of Cat Protection.
Adult pack $250 – value $305
Includes: Science Diet adult tin or sachet, stoneware bowl, plastic double bowl, hooded litter tray, 7 ltr crystal kitty litter, litter scoop, 4 cat toys, catnip sack, scratch post, cat bed, cat carrier plus one year membership of Cat Protection.
Advantage pack $250 – value $300
Includes: Advantage flea treatment (4 month pack), Science Diet adult tin or sachet, stoneware bowl, plastic double bowl, hooded litter tray, 7 ltr crystal kitty litter, litter scoop, 4 cat toys, catnip sack, scratch post, cat bed plus one year membership of Cat Protection.
Don’t be disappointed if you don’t find the ‘right’ cat on your first visit. Remember, you and your cat will be spending many years together: you want a perfect match. Your adoption questionnaire will be placed on file and you can visit as many times as you like until you meet your purr-fect companion.